Saturday, June 11, 2011

The start of something tiramisu

Tiramisu

6 tbls. sugar
4 tbls. powdered sugar
6 eggs: separate yolk from white into separate containers. Allow whites to warm up to room temp.
1/2 cup amaretto (this is what I used, I hope to try Brandy next).
A chunk of german chocolate (use the small holes on a cheese grater to grate about 1/2-1 cup)
2- 8 oz. containers of Mascarpone cheese (I found mine at Marina Safeway and Corte Madera Trader Joe's. I like the Safeway stuff a bit better) - let cheese warm up to around room temperature.
2 Packages Lady Fingers (whole foods Mill Valley close to the Safeway has the right ones, rite aid also has them).
1 small container of whipping cream (Safeway or Trader Joe's)
Vanilla extract
Espresso blend (I got the safeway stuff, I'm sure there is much better out there)

Alrighty, how to make this stuff work:

-Eggs First: The first thing you will want to do is separate your egg whites from your yolks. I am terrible at doing this task, but I found a good method. Crack egg in the middle, open it part way, and pass it back and forth without entirely separating the shell halves. Do this six times to get six yolks. Save 5 of the egg whites in another bowl. Try not to get any yolk in with the whites.

-Warm Egg Whites: Place the bowl with the egg whites in another bowl of warm water to expedite the room temperature warming process (do not use really really hot water, because you don't want to cook the egg whites).

-Back to Egg Yolks: mix in 3 tbls. of sugar into the egg yolks. Do not  mix in the liquor yet.
-Grab a pot and fill it 1/4 way full. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and place the bowl with the egg yolks/sugar mixture. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Pour in 1/2 cup of amaretto or liquor of your choice. Whisk continuously until mixture thickens. As it thickens stir vigorously and remove from heat. Set aside.
-Congrats, you've made zabliagone. An italian custard. As you are whisking, you can also add some cinnamon and cocoa powder to it if you wish.

-The Mascarpone: Place the mascarpone in a bowl. Pull out an electric mixer. Mix the mascarpone on a low setting.
-Brew Espresso: You can use a drip coffee maker or melitta brewer (I used the melitta). I suggest the following ratio: 6 tablespoons ground espresso to 12 oz. water. I'm really unsure what the ration would be for a drip coffeemaker. All I can say is: make it strong and make about 3 cups worth.
-Measure a half a cup of espresso and slowly add to mascarpone while using the electric mixer. Make sure you mix it up well. The result should be slightly fluffy, tan/brownish in color.
-Mix in 3 tbls. of sugar to the mixture. Set aside.

The Cream:
-First step- measure 1 cup of whipping cream.
-Step two- use the electric mixer to start mixing the cream. Start low and move to high. As it starts to firm a bit add 2 tbls. powdered sugar and a 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (I added more since I couldn't find our 1/4 a tsp. measurer). Whip to soft peaks (It should look like cool whip. Not stiff, but very soft and creamy).
-Set aside

The Egg Whites:
-This is the most challenging part. Use electric mixer and mix egg whites. Use high setting and move the mixer around.  Using room temp egg whites makes the process go faster. Once you reach a consistency similar to the whipped cream you've already made. Add 2 tbls. of powdered sugar (this is to hold the whites together). You can also try cream of tartar (which  I have never used, but is common for beating egg whites).
-Whip eggs to stiff peaks.

Mixing things together:
To mix it together do exactly as is written.
-Fold  egg whites into egg yolks. To do this: place the egg yolk/zabliagone mixture into a larger container(there won't be very much of it).
-Take the bowl that has the whites and let it slide out onto the egg yolk mixture.
-Take your rubber scraper/spatula and draw a line down the center.
-Fold half over onto the other half and keep repeating until it's all blended a bit.
-NEVER STIR! It'll make it runny.
-Set aside

Constructing the tiramisu A.K.A. now it's time for ladyfingers (also known as the part I have yet to master completely)
-Place remaining 2+ cups of coffee that you did not use in the mascarpone in the fridge to cool to room temperature.
-Once coffee is cool, place in a cereal type bowl (one that is wide and allows the lady finger to be fully submerged is good).
-Start dipping the lady fingers sugar-coated side down. Do this quickly.
-Once ladyfinger is dipped, place on bottom of pan (I used a 9x13).

Layering:
-Dip ladyfingers in coffee until the entire bottom is layered.
-Use spatula/rubber scraper and scoop out about half of mascarpone/espresso mixture. Spread evenly over ladyfingers.
-Sprinkle a bit of chocolate over it if desired.
-Scoop out about half of the egg yolk/white/zabliagone mixture, spread evenly over mascarpone layer.
-Scoop out half of whipped cream and  spread over top.
-Sprinkle chocolate shavings over whipped cream.
-Dip lady fingers again and cover whipped cream layer.
-Spread rest of mascarpone
-Spread rest of egg/zabliagone
-Spread rest of whipped cream.
-Top with rest of chocolate.

-Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Enjoy!

Tips:
-It takes me thus far about 3 hours to construct a tiramisu to place in the fridge.
-I suggest using a container that has a snap on lid or experiment and make mini tiramisus in other containers.
-I usually let mine refrigerate overnight.
-Be prepared to wash a lot of dishes

No comments:

Post a Comment